It’s National Nutrition Month and registered dietitian Stephanie Vandergriff says it’s a great time to take small steps to improve diet quality.
She says fruits & vegetables are some of the most nutrient dense foods we can eat.
“Eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables daily can help reduce the risk of many leading causes of chronic disease, including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, some cancers, and obesity,” said Vandergriff.
Only 1 in 10 adults meets the recommendations for fruit & vegetable intake, five servings a day said Vandergriff.
Homemade Veggie Chips
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 4 beets
- Coconut oil spray
- Sea salt
1. Slice sweet potatoes and beets into thin circles
2. Line cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray with coconut oil
3. Place beets and sweet potatoes on cookie sheet and lightly spray them with oil
4. Sprinkle with sea salt and/or pepper
*Could also do carrot chips
Homemade 2-Ingredient Ice Cream
- 4 large bananas
- 4 tbsp natural creamy peanut butter
1. Slice bananas into 1 inch chunks and place on lined cookie sheet in freezer for 1-2 hours
2. Place bananas into food processor and blend until smooth and creamy (takes at least a minute)
3. Add peanut butter to food processor and blend again till mixed evenly
4. Enjoy immediately for soft serve or place in container in freezer for several hours to achieve firmer version
*Can top with shaved chocolate, chopped nuts, or shredded coconut
Mixed Berry Smoothie
- 8-12 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1 handful of spinach
- 1/2 small avocado
1. Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth. Use more or less coconut milk to reach desired level of thickness.
*Can use any type of fruit, veggie, or healthy fat (i.e. peanut butter, almond butter, coconut, avocado)
Mexican Corn Salad
- 1 small bag frozen corn
- 1 can black beans
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1 small avocado
- 1 lime
- Sea salt
1. Thaw frozen corn by running under cool water, drain and add to large mixing bowl
2. Rinse and drain black beans. Add to mixing bowl with corn
3. Chop bell pepper, tomato, and cilantro. Add to mixture in bowl
4. Add the juice from one lime
5. Add sea salt to desired taste and mix everything well
6. Chop avocado and add to top of salad
*If making large batches add only avocado you will eat for that meal, otherwise it will brown within a day
1. Wash grapes and let dry on paper towels. Place in ziploc bag in freezer for at least one day till frozen solid.
2. Peel bananas and either cut into chunks or leave whole. Place in ziploc bag in freezer for at least one day till frozen solid.
Warm Cinnamon Apples
- Coconut oil spray
1. Warm pan on stovetop to low-medium to medium heat. Spray with coconut oil
2. Wash apples and cut into thin slices. Add to pan when hot
3. Cook for 3-5 minutes a side to desired level of brown/caramel color is achieved
4. Sprinkle with cinnamon during last minute of cooking time
*Can also be done with peaches or nectarines